Sunday, July 24, 2011

Tool #8

I'm excited about having the net-books and iPad in my classroom. One thing I learned is that the district has an iTunes account that I can set up on the iPad. I know it sounds silly, but I really thought I had to set it up myself with my own credit card. Another thing I learned is that there are many free apps available. Some of them are drawing and doodling apps. I'm really interested in some of the photography apps.

One app that stands out from the crowd is the MoMA app where students can access beautiful high-res images of important artworks, art history and information about the artist.



Since I see the entire school each week once a week for 45 minutes to an hour, I'm thinking the best use for this technology would be extra credit work. I would have an assignment available for those students that finish their art lessons early. For the older students, the assignment would involve selecting artwork from the MoMA app and writing about it. They would need to describe the artwork and then write about what they like about it. How does it make them feel? Instead of just doodling in an app, they would be using the app for a self-directed writing activity for extra credit. For the younger students, the extra credit assignment would involve producing a drawing or other type of artwork using one of the apps available. 

No comments:

Post a Comment